Notice of Privacy Practices
Effective as of July 1, 2012
This notice describes how health information about you may be used or disclosed and how you can get access to this information.Lash Group respects the confidentiality of your health information and will protect it in a responsible and professional manner. The Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act of 1996 (“HIPAA”) requires us to protect the privacy of your protected health information and to send you this notice. “Protected health information” as defined under HIPAA means information about you that has been collected and maintained that identifies you and that relates to your physical or mental health or condition, the provision of health care to you, or payment for health care provided to you.
This Notice describes how Lash Group may use and disclose your health information for treatment, payment or health care operational purposes, and it describes how Lash Group may use and disclose your health information for other purposes that are permitted or required by law.
It is not necessary for you to take any action as a result of this Notice unless you wish to exercise one or more of your rights as explained in this Notice.
How Lash Group May Use or Disclose Your Health Information Without Your Authorization
For Treatment. Lash Group may use your health information to assist you in the provision of health care products, items, supplies, treatment or services (collectively, “services”). For example, Lash Group may disclose your health information to coordinate the distribution of health care products to you.
For Payment. Lash Group may use and disclose your health information to others for purposes of receiving payment for services that you receive. For example, your protected health information may be used to accelerate payment for services through your commercial insurance company, Medicare or Medicaid.
For Health Care Operations. Lash Group may use and disclose health information about you for operational purposes. For example, your health information may be disclosed to members of Lash Group’s staff and others to evaluate the performance of the staff, to assess the quality of care and outcomes in your case, or to learn how to improve Lash Group’s facilities and services.
Required by Law. Lash Group may use and disclose information about you as required by law. For example, Lash Group may disclose information for judicial and administrative proceedings, to report information related to victims of abuse, neglect or domestic violence, or for law enforcement purposes.
Public Health. Your health information may be used or disclosed for public health activities such as assisting public health or other authorities to prevent or control disease, injury or disability, or for other health oversight activities.
Research. Lash Group may use your health information for limited research purposes where the project meets specific, detailed criteria established under HIPAA to ensure the privacy of your health information.
Health and Safety. Your health information may be disclosed to avert a serious threat to the health or safety of you or any other person pursuant to applicable law.
Government Functions. Your health information may be disclosed for specialized government functions such as national security, protection of public officials or reporting to various branches of the armed services.
Workers’ Compensation. Your health information may be used or disclosed as authorized by workers’ compensation laws.
Other Uses. Unless otherwise allowed under HIPAA or required by law, all other uses and disclosures will be made only with your written authorization. You may revoke this authorization except to the extent Lash Group has taken in reliance on any previous authorization.
Your Health Information Rights
You have the right:
- To request a restriction on certain uses and disclosures of your information as provided by 45 C.F.R. §164.522; however, Lash Group is not required to agree to a requested restriction;
- To obtain a paper copy of this Notice at any time upon request;
- To inspect and obtain a copy of your health file as provided in 45 C.F.R. §164.524;
- To amend your health file as provided in 45 C.F.R. §164.526;
- To request communications of your health information only by alternative means (e.g., by telephone) or at alternative locations (e.g., at work);
- To revoke your authorization to use or disclose health information except to the extent that action has already been taken in reliance on the prior authorization; and
- To receive an accounting of disclosures made of your health information as provided in 45 C.F.R. §164.528.
Obligations of Lash Group
Lash Group is required by law:
- To maintain the privacy of your protected health information;
- To provide you with this Notice of Lash Group’s legal duties and privacy practices with respect to your health information;
- To abide by the terms of this Notice;
- To notify you if Lash Group is unable to agree to a requested restriction on how your health information is used or disclosed;
- To accommodate reasonable requests you may make to communicate health information by alternative means or at alternative locations; and
- To obtain your written authorization to use or disclose your health information for reasons other than those listed above and permitted under law.